Over my fall 2017 sabbatical, I developed a prototype water meter/display to research if displaying real-time water usage to a community influences conservation as hypothesized in DisplayScape. Developing my knowledge of electronic circuits and Arduino (C+) programming to be able to teach about prototyping environmental sensors is another sabbatical goal. This project is also about creating a work of data art.
- ESP8266 ESP-12E NodeMcu LUA WiFi Development Boards (originally used Feather M0 RFM69 915mhz packet radio development boards)
- 10 meters @ Neopixel 30 LED/m strips
- Mean Well 5V 110w power supply
- TUF-2000M ultrasonic flow meter
- Polycase YQ-121006 enclosure
- Monoprice 12ga speaker wire
Now that the prototype is working, I am coordinating a field trial at one of the Cal Poly dorms.
This is a self-funded project with material support by Cal Poly Facilities and University Housing.